I've been feeling just much more enthused about Image than Marvel lately. It isn't that Marvel isn't producing stuff that is at least in theory relevant to my interests; in March alone there's an all-female team book, 10 female superhero solo books, the Peggy Carter + Howard Stark team-up, and a Princess Leia solo. Compared to even a year ago, that's AMAZING.
The thing is, I've been reading Marvel for a year and a half and I'm already tired of falling in love with books only to have them canceled, tied up in crossover events half the time, or on the creative team merry-go-round. Then there are the ones that I can't fall in love with because they are so deeply mediocre; I don't know if that's better or worse. I am particularly sick of all the things I like getting canceled while all the things I find so mediocre go on for 30-40 issues. I covet that kind of length for the titles I love, so that writers can really dig in and take those characters places.
Meanwhile, over at Image, we get the same creative team
for dozens of issues, crossovers are vanishingly rare, and when things get canceled, at least we can chalk it up creator decision and not that of some marketing department somewhere. Plus, from Image I can get my space western AND my pulpy women's prison AND my cosmic SF myth retelling AND my space opera. And no prior knowledge required!
Basically I'm starting to believe that standalone comics with the breadth and artistry and creative control we see at Image are the wave of the future, and in fact the future might already be here.
Ahem. With that, on to the March solicits.Image
* New title Descender
, Dustin Nguyen (!!) does a sad child robot story. Just lookit this cover:( Collapse )
* Southern Cross
- the actual premise doesn't do a lot for me, but come on, grungy SF + weird fiction + female protagonist + Becky Cloonan? I'll definitely give it a try, at least.
* Otherwise my comments this month are primarily "Yay! More issues of that comic I like!" Such comics include Bitch Planet, Ody-C, and SAGA (YAY MORE ADVENTURES OF [SPOILER] AND [SPOILER] :DDDD)Marvel
* New Hawkeye. Very much doubt lightning strikes twice, but apparently it is still a book with two Hawkeyes, so I'm pleased to see that, at least. The cover art is intriguing; I wonder if this is anything like what we should expect from the interiors:( Collapse )
* Silk, Spider-Gwen, and
Spider-Woman. Someone will have to tell me which if any of the spider-lady books to read.
* Judging by the Thor solicit, the identity of the lady Thor is STILL a mystery in MARCH. Erg. How are we supposed to get any kind of character development when the book won't even tell us who she is?!
* Again, someone will need to tell me if this Operation: S.I.N.
book with Peggy Carter and Howard Stark is good. Likewise, if G. Willow Wilson manages to rescue X-Men
from the mess it is, someone let me know. Apparently March's issue is big on Psylocke, and that is a plan I support heartily.
* Black Widow
summary continues not to enthuse, but I think I quite like the cover design:( Collapse )
* More Ms. Marvel
, yay. More Storm
, yay. Those are my two favorite things out of Marvel right now, I think.Crossposted from Dreamwidth. Comment here or there. ( DW replies)